ECCLESIASTICAL STATUE - Religious Figure from Cavalry and the Descent from the Cross, 17th-18th c. Belgian, in carved and polychromed wood, a Male Saint standing in cassock and cape, with eyes lowered, a Bible under his left arm, roughly 23" x 8" x 5". Wormage, loss to both arms and front of waist, on an added plate, painted to match. It is thought that this statue was originally part of a group in the chapel called "Le Calvair Mascaux" at Fontaine l'Eveque, a city that for several centuries was the object of conflicting claims between the Bishopric of Cambrai in France and the Principality of Liege.Around 1550 this chapel was dedicated to Saint Anthony and served as a refuge for children. From 1554 to 1794 the city was repeatedly ravaged by warfare. On July 21, 1794, the city came under control of the French Republicans, who used the structure as a stable. Local families rescued these statues and hid them until they were found in an attic in 1968.