1957 Austin Healey 100/6 BN4 Roadster
1957 Austin Healey 100/6 BN4 Roadster
The St. Louis Car Museum is very excited to offer this 1957 Austin-Healey 100-6 BN4 2 2 Roadster! Finished in a gorgeous two-tone Ivory White / Red with Red Leather interior and contrasting white piping, this BN4 gracefully glides down the road! In addition to an original, numbers matching motor and 4-speed manual transmission with Overdrive, this car is equipped with many extras: 72-spoke chrome wire spoke wheels, Michelin radial tires, dual chrome mirrors, Smiths gauges (oil/water, speedo/odo, tach, fuel), locking chrome gas cap, front/rear bumper guards, rubber Austin-Healey floor mats, Smiths heater & defroster, illuminated British Motor Corporation AM radio modernized with FM frequency internally, windscreen washer, original side curtains with storage bag, full tonneau cover, badge bar with Lucas fog lamps, stainless steel door sills, laminated windscreen, auxiliary cup holders on the doors, insulated hood, added seatbelts front & rear, and polished stainless steel exhaust!
As Healey enthusiasts may already know, there were two batches of 100-6s built and this falls well into the first by virtue of the 46580 VIN and 5533 body serial number. After being built August 14, 1957, and brought Stateside, this 1957 Austin Healey 100/6 BN4 Roadster started life in Philadelphia. The car is an older, no expense spared restoration that clearly shows signs of a meticulous long-term care by previous Wisconsin owners, Jim & Diane Coursolle, for 16 years. This included a fully rebuilt drivetrain with the engine fitted with hardened valve seats. It was sold through our showroom in May 2014 to a collector just outside of Beaumont, Texas with only 26,188 restored miles on the odometer. A compression check completed in May 2014 showed consistent 155-170psi across all cylinders. Four years later, we have the privilege of offering it again, now with only 30,447 miles! All instrumentation and accessories work, and the motor sings splendidly from the exhaust pipe! The paint and chrome are excellent, remaining super smooth to the touch. The underhood presentation is outstanding with a recent upgrade to an aluminum radiator by Wizard Cooling, aluminum 6-blade cooling fan and Hayden electronic fan positioned at the front. This was only in an effort to allow this BN4 to run as cool as possible during summers in southern Texas for the most recent owner. Being driven in his care for approximately 1,100 miles each year, he also upgraded the factory front drum brakes to higher performing disc brakes. The car also has copper lines feeding the heater, polished carb dashpot covers & chrome valve cover, round air cleaners with reusable K&N filters, and a twist-off oil filter conversion. The transmission shifts wonderfully with no grinding in any gears and the overdrive is fully functional! The beautiful red leather interior remains soft and free of any signs of wear. Complete with the 1957 Austin Healey 100/6 BN4 Roadster are a host of original OEM & extra spare parts including: valve cover, 2 Coopers air cleaners, grommets & gaskets, original front drum brake & hub assemblies, interior knobs, original radiator, hoses & shrouding, canister oil filter, original gas cap, Lucas sport coil, original 4-blade cooling fan, distributor cap, brake lines, drive belts, extra wiper blades & various gaskets, mallet & tool bag, original battery tray & cover. As a result of a 12V Negative Ground wiring conversion, Optima battery, upgraded electronic ignition is discretely hidden with Lucas Silver coil, the car has increased starting capacity and brighter headlights, along with twin 12-volt accessory plugs for GPS and cell phone charging.
Introduced in 1956 as a replacement to the 100, Austin-Healey’s second round of its big car debuted with a two inch longer wheelbase, two additional seats and a brand new 6-cylinder replacing the old Inline-4. The body was revamped with a more aggressive stance and the previously foldable windscreen was now fixed. The new 2639cc C-series motor came straight from the Austin Westminster sedan and initially produced 102hp but was later upped to 117hp in 1957 with a revision of the intake manifold. In November of 1957, production moved from Longbridge to the MG plant at Abingdon to accommodate increasing demands. Production of the 100-6 ended in 1959 with the introduction of the 3000.