Cart
e"> "Close Cart"

A PAIR OF HANDSOME VICTORIAN SILVER-GILT CANDELABRA BY HANCOCKS & CO.

A PAIR OF HANDSOME VICTORIAN SILVER-GILT CANDELABRA BY HANCOCKS & CO.

Item Description:

PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF NIRJA NANUBHAI KAMANI


each with mark of Charles Frederick Hancock, London, 1873

the pair of nine-light candelabra, each on a gadroon edged shaped quatrefoil shaped base with applied strapwork ornamentation, the baluster stem also cast and chased with stylised scrolls and female masks, with applied strapwork against a matte background, leading to stag and doe heads above, the two-tiered arms, each designed with four scrolling branches leading to strapwork-clad sockets and gadrooned waxpans, with detachable nozzles, weight 14,490 gms.


Height 28 3/4 in. (73 cm.) (2)


Charles Frederick Hancock founded Hancocks & Co. in 1849 in London. A former partner with the well-known silversmiths Storr and Mortimer, he opened his first store at the corner of Bruton and New Bond Street, and shortly after opening, received the Royal Appointment of Queen Victoria. Hancocks & Co. participated in various exhibitions, the first one being the Great Exhibition of 1851 at The Crystal Palace in London. They also participated in exhibitions in Paris in 1867 and Vienna in 1873. The Company was also awarded the design and production of the Victoria Cross in 1856, the year of the award's inception, which they continued to the present day. Charles Hancock retired in 1870 and his two sons took over the business, changing the name to Hancocks & Co. They were awarded the royal warrant by King George V and Queen Elizabeth, and to date have been awarded four Royal Warrants.


* Antiquity or Art Treasure - Non-exportable Item. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions of Sale.

AUCTION
₹ 4,000,000.00 ( Low est. )

SIMILAR AUCTIONS

Check out our auctions with similar lots.